Maine State Police, along with other law enforcement agencies, are investigating a large number of vehicle burglaries that have occurred in the past two weeks.
The majority of these crimes have occurred overnight and all of the vehicles targeted have been cars with vehicle doors left unlocked. In several of these cases credit cards, cash, and small electronics were stolen.
Police are urging citizens to lock their car doors and remove any items of value.
These break-ins are preventable and with the community’s help, police are confident they will see a decrease in the numbers of car burglaries.
Burglary Prevention Tips for Vehicles:
- Don’t leave vehicles running unoccupied
- Always lock vehicle doors and take the keys with you when not in use, even in your driveway
- Do don’t leave personal items in plain sight
- Remove valuables including firearms
- At night, always park your vehicle in a well-lit and visible place
- Don’t leave personal information in your car
What to do if your vehicle is burglarized:
- Call the police and report the incident as soon as possible
- If you see any suspicious activity, call the police immediately