Here are the statements from Livermore Falls Police and Maine State Police concerning the hostage situation on Knapp Street that began early Monday morning, March 8.

The suspect was killed by police and the hostages are all safe. Explosive devices are still at the scene.

From Lt. Joseph Sage of the Livermore Falls Police Department:

On 03/08/21, The Livermore Falls Police Department were dispatched to Knapp Street for an armed intruder. Officers arrived on scene and were immediately met with extreme and dangerous conditions which developed into a situation involving multiple hostages.

From there assistance was requested from the Maine State Police Tactical Response Team. Throughout the hours immediately following, multiple State, County Federal, municipal, and agencies from New Hampshire and Massachusetts, converged on scene to offer assistance and resources.

From the moment Law enforcement were called to this scene, literally hundreds of members of this Countries Law Enforcement Community, committed non-stop dedication to the best possible resolution of a very hostile and Tragic set of circumstances.

I can say with a degree of certainty that the community, of Livermore Falls and this fine State of Maine, have some of the most dedicated, committed, and specialized Officers available. On behalf of the Livermore Falls Police Department, and the Community of Livermore Falls, I would like to express our sincerest gratitude to the Officers of the Law Enforcement community that responded without delay for the best available resolution.

I would also like to thank the members of this community for their continued support of Law Enforcement personnel. Throughout the day, many citizens, businesses, and charities offered their assistance. The VFW Post 3335 offered warming shelter and nourishment to any Law Enforcement in need, we say Thank You. First Church of Livermore Falls Offered shelter and nourishment throughout the day to the family and friends directly involved in this tragic incident. We Say Thank You.

And to all the members of the Emergency Services who played a role no matter how minor for this community we say Thank You.

From Lt. Jason Madore from the Maine State Police:

At the request of the Livermore Falls Police Department we responded with our Tactical Team, Bomb Team and Crisis Negotiators. We made contact with Mr. White early in the day and continued attempts to have him surrender for approximately (14) hours. The situation is now resolved, Mr. White is deceased and all three hostages are safe. There are multiple explosive devices still in the residence. The scene will remain secured until we can make the area safe.

One of our officers did use deadly force. As is standard procedure, he has been placed on administrative leave. Mr. White’s cause and manner of death is part of the investigation by the Attorney General’s Office. We are cooperating with the Attorney General’s Office in their investigation into our use of force. Further questions should be directed to the Attorney General’s Office.”

Latest Local Central Maine News »